What's new

Can you back up a jail broken iPhone

DroidConverted

Reaction score
I'm currently running 5.1.1 on a 4S and am loving the tweaks that jail break has allowed me to do. Is there a way to back up all of the tweaks, etc that I have added?

Also, once 6.0 is released and gets jailbroken, do I have to start over again or is there a way to restore all of my current jailbreak tweaks?

You are not going to want to do that when you make the jump from iOS5 to iOS6 though. The only time you should restore a backup of your jailbroken apps and settings is when you are restoring the same firmware. Once iOS6 comes out it will take months before all the iOS5 cydia tweaks and apps are updated to support iOS6 and restoring from a backup will cause all sorts of issues. You will want to do a clean restore, set up as a new device and manually install compatible packages when you update to iOS6.

Thanks for the info. It seems like the only way to handle this is to write down all of my tweaks and wait for them to be updated.

Yep, with iOS5 the community created a Google spreadsheet to keep track of Cydia compatibility, I am sure they will do the same when iOS6 is released!

Yep, with iOS5 the community created a Google spreadsheet to keep track of Cydia compatibility, I am sure they will do the same when iOS6 is released!

Where might I find that? Sounds like it could come in handy.

There isn't one yet since the jailbreak for iOS6 is intended for developers only. Once one is released I will post it on this forum.

Worth noting, whilst JMills87 is absolutely correct, you should always be careful when restoring after a major IOS release, one of the reasons I recommend PkgBackup is that this is not an "all or nothing" solution.

PkgBackup does an awesome job of managing your backup as a LIST of individual things you have installed at a point in time. It is easy to use that backup as a selective list to restore things one at a time over a period of time as more and more tweaks are made compatible. That way you get your apps and tweaks back with their settings, data, etc. You also get a managed list, rather than having it sitting in a notepad app. I've been using it like this for a very long time!

Don't dismiss it, just because the next update will be a major one! Read the manual, understand how it works, and use it effectively to make you life easier! :D

Last edited: