A friend just bought an unlocked 5 for his wife to use while in China. When it's here they want to use it over their home wifi only without any data plan. From what I understand he'll need a SIM card of some sort. What's the simplest and cheapest way for him to do this?
So in theory they could just leave the SIM card they get in China in the phone and use their wifi here?The SIM doesn't have to be activated for the phone to connect to the Internet via WiFi, it just has to be in the holder. I have my old iPhone 4S with a deactivated SIM card, and it works fine on WiFi.
scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator
So in theory they could just leave the SIM card they get in China in the phone and use their wifi here?
Yes, they just want to use it as a phone in China and for internet access at home, at least for now. I know it doesn't sound like the ideal use for an iPhone but it's theirs so I don't question why. I'm just trying to get an informed answer for him and this is the best place I know to do it.Oh, I reread and see that he's already bought it. If they want to use it as a phone at all here in the US, they have to have a data plan. I doesn't matter that they plan to use wifi. (unless they are going to use it as an iPod and no phone usage)
Thank you.Correct, they would use it like an iPod with a WiFi connection to the Internet.
Oh, I reread and see that he's already bought it. If they want to use it as a phone at all here in the US, they have to have a data plan. I doesn't matter that they plan to use wifi. (unless they are going to use it as an iPod and no phone usage)