📰 Live Activities will not be "Real-Time" in iOS 18

📰 Live Activities will not be "Real-Time" in iOS 18

1725211641897.png
According to a developer, known as Nico on X, live activities will not provide real-time updates in iOS 18. This is based on feedback that Nico received from Apple's developer team.

Previously, developers were able to refresh live activities every second, but in iOS 18 the shortest amount of time between updates will be 5 seconds. Apple stated that this change is intentional to prevent frequent writing to the iPhone's NAND (storage) chip. Frequent writing to a NAND chip decreases the overall life of the chip, so this is a welcome change. It will help preserve the iPhone's hard drive to last as long as it should, instead of prematurely shortening its life.

This is a bummer for certain live activities though, as Nico used it to track the speed of his bike. As stated on Nico's X account, "I used it for speed tracking of my bike. This metric is worthless with iOS 18. I don’t need to know my speed from 10 seconds ago. Apple clearly says 'real time' in their user interface guideline."

Nico on X:

No need to worry about live activities like DoorDash or Uber, as they rely on a clock mechanism. The clock does not need to be written over and over, so these will still appear in real-time. However, if your favorite live activity relies on updating every second, you may see a change when upgrading to iOS 18 in a few weeks.

credit: 9to5Mac

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Topics

Latest posts

Back