Open File System in iOS 5.0.1 Makes It Possible to Get Siri Files Without Piracy

Open File System in iOS 5.0.1 Makes It Possible to Get Siri Files Without Piracy

Gregoris

Staff member
Reaction score
iOS 5.0.1 has a wide open main file system, reports MuscleNerd.

Huh...today's 4S 5.0.1 bump (9A406) has wide open main fs

According to MuscleNerd, this is the first publicly obtainable firmware ipsw where the main file system's key could be derived from the ramdisks (because the ramdisks aren't encrypted).

Now that file system is wide open for inspection, it's possible to get Siri files and such without piracy!

(to clarify: wide open for inspection from a Mac/PC...not wide open security wise :) Can get Siri files and such without piracy)

We'll keep you up to date on any developments in this area.

65955-500.png

Taken from here: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18789

Don't get me wrong, I think this is great news! Excuse me if this is a dumb question but by announcing to the world that there is a loophole, won't that get back to apple and in turn, have apple close it up again???

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Don't get me wrong, I think this is great news! Excuse me if this is a dumb question but by announcing to the world that there is a loophole, won't that get back to apple and in turn, have apple close it up again???Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
I, too, was thinking the same thing. Perhaps w/ 5.1 in beta 2 testing the developers have already found out that this will already be patched w/ 5.1. So, there's no sense hanging onto the info, no way Apple can make changes to already released firmware. :-)

well for apple not to encrypt the files seems like a very sloppy mistake IF it was indeed done by mistake. I think apple where aware of this before anything was posted by MuscleNerd, the developers know not to post anything such as jailbreak exploits so there must be a good reason as to why they dont mind tweeting about it.

Latest posts

Back