The new "Clean Up" feature is incredible!

The new "Clean Up" feature is incredible!

ThatTechyGuy

iPhoneForums News/Reviews
Staff member
Reaction score
1724887055907.jpeg
1724887075106.jpeg
I decided to try out the new Clean Up feature in Photos on iOS 18.1 beta, and I am blown away! The left is unedited, and the right is after the edit. If you zoom in close you can see some artifacts around my arm from the man in the blue shirt. I zoomed in and cleaned it up a little, but it can be better with more time. For a quick little edit, or if the thing/object/person you are trying to take out doesn't overlap with the subject, it should be perfect.

I know this has been around in Photoshop and on Google Pixel/Samsung for a while, but finally seeing it built into the photos app is awesome. It's intuitive, easy to use, and quick to access.

This photo was taken on an iPhone 13 Pro Max at my graduation last month. :)

That's a cool feature! Glad to see it finally come to the iPhone.

IMG_0450.jpeg
1725029510325.jpeg
Another one for you! I took every single person out of my brother's football game LOL. I'm most impressed by the people in the stands in the background. The logo on the field is a little messed up, but overall I can't believe how good this feature is.

Those stands didn’t turn out so well either…….

View attachment 75936
I'll admit, my eyes were focused on the fence in front. I didn't even notice the group of girls in the corner haha.

It is not perfect, but still impressive.

Would you use that feature at all? I love the technology, but it just doesn't feel right. The photo isn't genuine anymore, compared to just color-correcting and normal edits you would make on a picture.

I think there’s definitely room for improvement, and no doubt that will come in future upgrades. I agree that it will encourage people to ‘modify’ photos to the extent that they no longer represent the original.
Whether that is to be encouraged (for professional use) is debatable, but I can see it being very useful for personal use.

Last edited:
I think there’s definitely room for improvement, and no doubt that will come in future upgrades. I agree that it will encourage people to ‘modify’ photos to the extent that they no longer represent the original.
Whether that is to be encourage (for professional use) is debatable, but I can see it being very useful for personal use.
I think instead of AI photoshopping, I would like to see more AI editing. I have no idea how to edit photos, how to set the white point, change the exposure, etc. I would love an AI feature that would help me edit photos to my liking.

Here’s before and after cleanup editing of a photo I found on the web.
The cleanup feature is most effective on small edits, not large ones like this one.
IMG_6612.jpeg

IMG_6628.jpeg

Here is another pair of photos, with the cathedral removed in the second one.

IMG_6632.jpeg

IMG_6633.jpeg

Last edited:
That works way better than I would have thought. That's really neat.

Latest posts

Back