Unlocked iPhone 4 Could Be Launched in US This Week

Unlocked iPhone 4 Could Be Launched in US This Week

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-iphone4-1.jpg

ZDNet’s Between the Lines Blog has a story today about a rumour regarding the possible surprise release of an unlocked iPhone 4 in the US this week. The rumour comes from Chronic Wire’s Twitter page where he states that the following unlocked GSM iPhone models will be arriving in Apple Stores this Wednesday: MC603 (16GB, Black), MC604 (16GB, White), MC605 (32GB, Black), MC606 (32GB, White). No word as how much these unlocked phones would be priced, but I bet they won’t come cheap!

Cnet says that although Chronic Wire is usually a good and reliable source, he has got it wrong a few times lately, for example when predicting the release of a refreshed MacBook Air. They also ask, why would Apple take this step now, with a new iPhone just around the corner? However, this could also be the very reason why Apple might be about to release unlocked iPhone 4s, in order to shift as much stock as possible prior to the launch of the new phone. Either way, we’ll know for sure on Wednesday.

Source: Unlocked iPhone 4 rumored to be launching in U.S. this week | ZDNet

We've had unlocked iPhones in the UK for as long as I can remember. I don't understand why they aren't available everywhere...

We've had unlocked iPhones in the UK for as long as I can remember. I don't understand why they aren't available everywhere...

i dont remember the iphone being unlocked until the iphone 4 in the uk, i remember i rang the uk apple store when there was the iphone 3gs and they told me it was only locked to o2..

only after June 24 when the iphone 4 was released we got it unlocked, but countries like Italy had it unlocked since the iphone 3g, but you would think the country that invented the device would of had it available unlocked and to any carrier quicker then any other country, but im sure they have good reasons. maybe contracts or it would of been too expensive to buy unlocked and they did not think they would sell many.

but i dont understand either and think they should be since every one this year seems to be wanting to go to AT&T and buying cheap iphone 4's and trying to use unlock tools to unlock it later.

They were defiantly available unlocked in the UK before the iPhone 4 came out. I don't know how long before but it was defiantly before...

are you sure? because when i rang apple it was just before they released the iphone 4.. maybe the employee did not know what he was saying, some times you see they dont have a clue or whats going on

Perhaps your right. I definatly looked into it before I got my 3GS in March 2010 and they were available factory unlocked. Perhaps that wasn't to the uk and just in Italy or somewhere like you said...

Latest posts

Back