What's new

6 S Plus Home Button replacement rumor

cazrnbsn

Reaction score
So from the thread I posted earlier you can tell I'm trying to do a DIY repair on this broken iphone I bought. The screen was shattered and the home button was missing (of course). After closer inspection, I have discovered that when the seller removed some of the glass, she damaged the LCD screen (now FUBAR) so I have opted for ordering an OEM - Glass, LCD, Digitizer with ribbon cable replacement preassembled. I paid $139 for it and it's on it's way now. I'll just transfer the two clear plastic pieces for the camera and proximity sensor and the accompanying ribbon cable with components attached and voila! almost new phoneage! (I made that up)

After some research on the Home Button, I've also found out that the fingerprint ID and ApplePay will not work and if I try to update the phone, I could potentially get an Error 53 which could essentially "brick out" my phone. Fortunately some of you have given me information on how to work-around that and I appreciate it very much.

Now after watching a few YouTubes on repair of this phone, I'm finding out that it's possible to get a hold of an OEM Home Button that could possibly work on the phone? I mean FingerID and ApplePay functional. So, if this is right, then Apple has yet lied to us again telling us that each Home Button is "paired" with the motherboard of that particular phone? One repair person even said that there are only 3 or 4 different circuits on the OEM Home Buttons and that one of them could essentially pair up with the motherboard and you would have your 6S Plus back with ALL of its' features intact? So if I have a Model 1647, which I do, I could possibly find a Home Button that would work on this unit? Does anyone out there know if this is true? If so, is there a way to identify which of these Home Buttons would work on your phone?

I'm excited to find this out. When I contacted Apple to see about getting a Home Button that would pair to my phone, I was "DENIED" but they would fix it (factory working conditions) for $339. I'd just love to call and tell'em I fixed it for $150 and some change. That would just tickle me to no ends. Thanks all of you for reading and for those of you that have contributed to my frugal endeavor. PEACE!

Darrell

The Touch ID sensor in the home button connects to a Touch ID chip on the logic board. The two parts are paired, which is why Touch ID and Apple Pay won't work if you replace just the home button assembly. This is part of the built in security to prevent unauthorized access to any information stored on the secure element chip on the motherboard which stores the fingerprint data and Apple Pay information. The parts to make them functional would only be available to authorised repair centres. In repairing it yourself you will end up with a functioning iPhone without Touch ID and Apple Pay.

The patched version of iOS 9.2.1 will prevent the diagnostic process from disabling the iPhone (or iPad) in the future if it detects a non-standard Touch ID component, and therefore solves the main problem with Error 53. But do bear in mind that it will still prevent Touch ID from working. In other words, you will be able to get the Home button replaced at a lower cost without bricking your phone, but you'll lose Touch ID.
And I am not against this protection to my security.