What's new

Apple Maps - Route Dictation

DallasFan

Reaction score
I usually use Google Maps, but I recently tried using Apple Maps.

I was traveling towards Ft Worth, Texas in rush hour traffic in the early evening. I am familiar with FT Worth, because I only live 25 miles,
(about 40KM, for the rest of the world) away. I know the way to FTW, but I didn't want to miss any turns in heavy traffic. So, I entered the address for the Apple Store and proceeded on my journey.

I was going to the Apple Store in FTW, to buy an external DVD player for my new, 13 inch MacBook. I was going to get one online, but I read several reviews that said some of them only worked for PC's. So, even though it was a few dollars more than others I saw, at least I knew if I got it from Apple it would be compatible, and I would be able to use it immediately.

Anyhow, I tried to use the feature on Maps that gives verbal commands but after several failed attempts, nothing worked.
I tapped the icon that indicated noise/voice and it didn't work. I hit the additional icon that suggested mute and it did nothing for me either.

I tried it with bluetooth on and off.

Nothing worked, and I have tried using it locally as well.

I went to settings, and all the options are green.

And to add insult to injury, when I got home and plugged in the DVD player, the DVD I wanted to watch did not play, lol. Other DVD's worked, but not the one I bought it for. I recently had an MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) for a pinched nerve in my back, and I wanted to see the images. But, apparently it uses a different format, because nothing loaded.

Anyhow, what am I doing wrong, to not get verbal commands?

I have still not figured out what I am doing wrong or is not working.
I set the maps for a local trip when I already knew where I was going. And I never heard any directions, but when I got home, it said to "turn left and I had reached my destination".
But I never heard anything while I was driving and I did not hear anything when I tried it again this morning.
Any suggestions?

I usually use Google Maps, but I recently tried using Apple Maps.

I was traveling towards Ft Worth, Texas in rush hour traffic in the early evening. I am familiar with FT Worth, because I only live 25 miles,
(about 40KM, for the rest of the world) away. I know the way to FTW, but I didn't want to miss any turns in heavy traffic. So, I entered the address for the Apple Store and proceeded on my journey.

I was going to the Apple Store in FTW, to buy an external DVD player for my new, 13 inch MacBook. I was going to get one online, but I read several reviews that said some of them only worked for PC's. So, even though it was a few dollars more than others I saw, at least I knew if I got it from Apple it would be compatible, and I would be able to use it immediately.

Anyhow, I tried to use the feature on Maps that gives verbal commands but after several failed attempts, nothing worked.
I tapped the icon that indicated noise/voice and it didn't work. I hit the additional icon that suggested mute and it did nothing for me either.

I tried it with bluetooth on and off.

Nothing worked, and I have tried using it locally as well.

I went to settings, and all the options are green.

And to add insult to injury, when I got home and plugged in the DVD player, the DVD I wanted to watch did not play, lol. Other DVD's worked, but not the one I bought it for. I recently had an MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) for a pinched nerve in my back, and I wanted to see the images. But, apparently it uses a different format, because nothing loaded.

Anyhow, what am I doing wrong, to not get verbal commands?
Do you have Siri enabled and are using that For your voice commands to Maps?

Do you have Siri enabled and are using that For your voice commands to Maps?
Siri is enabled. I can ask it questions and get answers.

But I have never tried to use it for maps.
I have always logged in the destination on maps, myself.

I'll try using Siri tomorrow morning.

Thanks