How to mute the camera shutter sound?

How to mute the camera shutter sound?

PhotoFlora

Reaction score
I have just acquired a 16 Pro and it's looking good. It will have to work hard to beat my old 14 pro though. .:-) On my 14 Pro I had permanently silenced the camera shutter sound when I took a photograph (without silencing the rest of the system). Can't remember how I did it unfortunately and now I want to silence the shutter sound on my new phone in the same way. Can anybody help?

Go to Settings - Sounds & Haptics, enable Silent Mode at the top, then go to the Ringtone and Alerts slider and drag it to the volume you prefer.

Go to Settings - Sounds & Haptics, enable Silent Mode at the top, then go to the Ringtone and Alerts slider and drag it to the volume you prefer.
Thanks for this. However what you suggest disables the entire system. As I said in my first post I want just to disable the camera shutter sound not the whole system. I know it was possible on my 14 pro which I still have . :-)

Another option would be taking Live Photos. You can find this feature in the Camera app, at the top right.

Or you can use Shortcuts to set up an automation to automatically turn down the volume when you open the Camera app.

Last edited:
Thanks once more. Live photos doesn't really suit my methods. I am a serious photographer and I know just how I want to work.
However the idea of Shortcuts might be a good one - would you care to give me a bit more detail as to how to do set that up?

Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone:
IMG_6236.jpeg

Go to the Automation tab at the bottom, then select + at the top, or „New Automation“, if you haven‘t set up an automation yet.
IMG_8339.jpeg

Scroll down to App and select it:
IMG_8340.jpeg

Make sure „Is Opened“ is selected, and „Is Closed“ is not selected. In App, choose Camera:
IMG_8341.jpeg

Select „Run immediately“, and keep „Notify When Run“ disabled. Then go to „Next“:
IMG_8343.jpeg

Select „New Blank Automation“. On the next screen, you‘ll find a search bar. Enter „set vol“.
IMG_8344.jpeg

Tap the number (50%), and drag the slider to 0%):
IMG_8345.jpeg

Then go to „Done“.
IMG_8347.jpeg

That done, you‘ll also have to add an automation that sets the volume back to your desired level after leaving the Camera app. Just follow the instructions once more, but instead of „Is Opened“ make sure „Is Closed“ is selected.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for this. It will take me a little while to work through your method but I'll give it a try. Just by the way I am mystified by the fact that my iphone 14 pro was silent when I took pictures. Somehow I'd managed to set it that way but I can't remember how.:confused: I still have the iphone 14 pro so it's living proof that this is true. I feel there must be an easier way of silencing the shutter on the 16 pro?

Here‘s your thread from earlier this year. Opening the Camera app, and then turning off the volume helped back then. This should also mute other sounds as well, though.

Setting up the automation works great. The screenshots above will help with the task. Maybe asking for a way to mute the camera shutter sound won‘t be necessary any more, when you‘re using this method.

Thanks for finding my previous thread. I think I'll have to stick with muting the sound In control panel for the time being. I'll set up those automations later on. I have an assignment to do shortly and I don't want to mess things up just now. I'm going to need your help to work my way through the automation setup sequence you kindly gave - it looks very clear, but I started it and got stuck so I'm still going to need your help later please! Thanks for your assistance so far.

Another option you could try is setting up a focus mode that activates when you open the camera app. This should silence everything when your camera is on, which might be helpful to you?

Latest posts

Back