What's new

No BB iP3gs starts itself every two minutes after restore with iTunes and sn0wbreeze

felipebarroeta

Reaction score
Hello, good evening every one!

First of all thank you for keeping this amazing community of questions and answers open to the world, you really are making a difference.

Here are the details of this issue. I’ve got an iPhone 3gs old bootrom made in week 37 of 2009 with iOS 5.1.1 and with no baseband. It was working well apart from the fact that it did not show IMEI, wifi, baseband info, Bluetooth, etc due to the baseband thing. It was an ipod touch with no wifi.

I read that the solution so the iPhone could get the baseband back was to restore a custom ipsw made with sn0wbreeze through iTunes and then flash an ipad baseband firmware with redsn0w.

I downloaded and restore the ipsw as indicated. The ipsw was installed in the telephone, but after working normally for about two minutes, it restarted. Then, another couple of minutes, restarted again.

Worried, I google about my new issue and found that I should install iOS 4.2.1 instead and that the process should be carried on the same way as with the previous ipws. I installed it with the same results. I think the problem is I didn’t finish the procedure as I didn’t flash anything with redsn0w. I flash the things and after two three minutes, again reboot out of the nothingness.

I have gone over and over again, I have installed ipsw 4.1, 4.2.1, 5.0.1, 5.1.1. I have flashed iPad bb, downgraded iPad bb. Nothing has worked, and what it worse, before at least could be used as an iPod, but now i can't do even that because ir keeps on restarting.

So here are my questions; What did I do wrong? Does this have a solution? Should I trash this phone? Is this thing hardware related? Can it be solved by me or should I take it to a technician?

I must say I have looked it up and doing this for almost eight days and haven’t found a fitting explanation for this. Before giving up and hammer this iPhone, I thought giving it a last shot with you guys, since you seem so knowledgeable about this. If there’s any post here with this problem and I didn’t see it, I beg you apologize and redirect me to it.
Very thankful in advance!
Felipe

In my experience I find that when there is no BB, IMEI, Bluetooth etc, the rebooting can be normal behavior (with no BB) and happens almost every time. When you were using it as an ipod, why did your iPhone have no baseband to begin with? Was it a result of trying to downgrade the BB? I usually see this problem when downgrading BB. The fix i usually use for that is putting it right back into dfu before it reboots and running the downgrade again. But, I dont think this is what your problem is as you stated it had no BB to begin with and was running good. I have heard of your problem on another forum but can't remember the fix. I will try to locate that tread. You said that you tried using custom firmware created with Sn0wbreeze. Maybe try restoring to stock 5.1.1 and go from there, jailbreaking and flashing the BB with redsn0w. Like I said, my experience no BB was due to unsuccessful BB downgrades, so I'm not sure my advice will apply here, but I am sure someone here will be able to give you the answers you seek

Hi waldoe, thanks for your advice...

As I imagined I brought the phone to a tech here but he didn't know how to fix the issue... they only know about blackberry...

Well, I'll give it another try when i have some time and will let you know...

Thanks again for the help!

In my experience I find that when there is no BB, IMEI, Bluetooth etc, the rebooting can be normal behavior (with no BB) and happens almost every time. When you were using it as an ipod, why did your iPhone have no baseband to begin with? Was it a result of trying to downgrade the BB? I usually see this problem when downgrading BB. The fix i usually use for that is putting it right back into dfu before it reboots and running the downgrade again. But, I dont think this is what your problem is as you stated it had no BB to begin with and was running good. I have heard of your problem on another forum but can't remember the fix. I will try to locate that tread. You said that you tried using custom firmware created with Sn0wbreeze. Maybe try restoring to stock 5.1.1 and go from there, jailbreaking and flashing the BB with redsn0w. Like I said, my experience no BB was due to unsuccessful BB downgrades, so I'm not sure my advice will apply here, but I am sure someone here will be able to give you the answers you seek

Hi again, waldoe, sorry for my prior poor post, I wasn't home but wanted to thank you for your willing to help.

1.- why did your iPhone have no baseband to begin with? Was it a result of trying to downgrade the BB?
I don't really know but i have the idea that since it was brought form the US to Venezuela, and then it was upgraded to 5.1.1, it might have lost it that way (?)
2.-Was it a result of trying to downgrade the BB?
I guess so. But again I'm not sure.

The reason why I don't know a lot of the facts of the iPhone is because it basically was given to me as an exchange for a wii i had but wasn't using. This guy told me he had this iPhone 3gs that could be used as iPod and could also be unlocked or fixed to be used as a phone as well. I have always liked the challenges and fixing broken things so I thought this could be a possible... But I now see when talking of Apple devices it's never easy.
I went to a tech and explained him a little bit but I don't think he understood. There's this guy who's supposed to be good doing this kinds of stuff but he was full today and told me to bring the phone next week. I guess I'm going to be trying to fix it my self since then, but again, it seems to be a lost cause...

When you say putting it back to dfu before it restarts: You mean; Turn it on, wait till boots completely, then going into dfu? I think I have done that a couple of times...

Well, thanks again... Going to try to install stock 5.1.1 and then flashing iPad baseband... I¿ll be updating.

Thanks again, greetings from dangerous Venezuela!

Yes I meant that because the phone keeps rebooting as soon as it booted up I put it turned it off then put into dfu for a second attempt at redsn0w BB downgrade and when the JB finished I had my wifi,BB,bluetooth etc,. I have never had to restore to stock because of no BB so I am not sure if iTunes will put the 5.1.1 BB on or not. I assume it will though. Also, since it may be hard to restore stock because the phone keeps rebooting, DFU mode should help you here. Instead of clicking shift and restore, just click restore since you aren't loading custom firmware. Hopefully someone else will be able to give 2 cents and hopefully youre on the right track as i have said before, my experience with bad BB is limited.

Yes I meant that because the phone keeps rebooting as soon as it booted up I put it turned it off then put into dfu for a second attempt at redsn0w BB downgrade and when the JB finished I had my wifi,BB,bluetooth etc,. I have never had to restore to stock because of no BB so I am not sure if iTunes will put the 5.1.1 BB on or not. I assume it will though. Also, since it may be hard to restore stock because the phone keeps rebooting, DFU mode should help you here. Instead of clicking shift and restore, just click restore since you aren't loading custom firmware. Hopefully someone else will be able to give 2 cents and hopefully youre on the right track as i have said before, my experience with bad BB is limited.

Hi! Again I'm really thankful with you and your will to help.

See the technical info I got from redsn0w regarding my phone... Maybe it helps:

By the way, I am pretty busy and haven't tried to restore stock 5.1.1.

iPhone 3GS
CPID: 8920
CPRV: 14
CPFM: 03
SCEP: 01
BDID: 00
ECID: 000003095A0D43CC
SRTG: [iBoot-359.3] -- OLD BOOTROM

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

So, I tried to restore 5.1.1 with iTunes without shift+restore and itunes kept on saying "communicating with servers for updating iPhone" or something like that for like an hour. I aborted that. Then tried to install official 5.1.1 with shift+restore and it gave me error 3194.

I'll keep on trying and post here everything in case somebody knows of something.

Thanks and kind regards!

hi everyone!
i installed and reinstalled 5.1.1 and then flashed ipad baseband and phone is still dead. i wonder if anyone knows of a solution involving hardware, as i am starting to think is the case here...

regards..!

It could very possibly be hardware related. You might have to send to china for a new baseband chip. But I wouldn't do that unless you have exhausted all possible options. You stated you got error 3194. are you still getting that error? If so, there is a tutorial on how to fix it here , I imagine it will work in your case. when you installed 5.1.1 was there still no wifi/bb/bluetooth?

It could very possibly be hardware related. You might have to send to china for a new baseband chip. But I wouldn't do that unless you have exhausted all possible options. You stated you got error 3194. are you still getting that error? If so, there is a tutorial on how to fix it here , I imagine it will work in your case. when you installed 5.1.1 was there still no wifi/bb/bluetooth?

Hi there!

I did a restore with an official 5.1.1 and now is giving me unknown error (1). I'm googling about it and will be posting further.

Thanks!

Hi again.

I think my problem is I didn't make a backup of SHSH, I don't know if I can do it right now and also don't know if the previous owner did it.

Does that have a solution or should I start going to eBay to buy the baseband chip from China?

Regards!

Don't think you would need the shsh for 5.1.1 as it is current firmware. You can buy it on eBay but that could be risky unless it is a reputable dealer. You can send your logic board to china and they put the bb chip in (with unlockable BB) and test it. I believe it's about 110$. But you can probably buy just the chip from the same company and do it yourself. They are in beijing.

Don't think you would need the shsh for 5.1.1 as it is current firmware. You can buy it on eBay but that could be risky unless it is a reputable dealer. You can send your logic board to china and they put the bb chip in (with unlockable BB) and test it. I believe it's about 110$. But you can probably buy just the chip from the same company and do it yourself. They are in beijing.

i have seen it from 15 to ca. 35 bucks on ebay. after i install it, do you know what i should do then? i have tried every single method and it always either comes to an error, or i install a custom ipsw to find that the searching little sign is still there on and the device keeps on restarting. now im almost hundred porcent positive this is hardware related... it must be, shouldn't it?

thanks a lot for your jhelp, waldoe.

Last edited:
It sounds like hardware to me too. I would only recommend replacing the bb chip yourself if you are very good with a solder iron. I would be careful buying a bb chip on eBay though. I can't really walk you through the replacement of the chip as I have never done one. There are probably some tuts online. Idk if it has to be programmed or not as i believe the chip contains imei information. I have sent a friends phone overseas for the procedure though. It is an expensive option and there is no guarantee the problem lies in the baseband chip, although it sounds like it.

It sounds like hardware to me too. I would only recommend replacing the bb chip yourself if you are very good with a solder iron. I would be careful buying a bb chip on eBay though. I can't really walk you through the replacement of the chip as I have never done one. There are probably some tuts online. Idk if it has to be programmed or not as i believe the chip contains imei information. I have sent a friends phone overseas for the procedure though. It is an expensive option and there is no guarantee the problem lies in the baseband chip, although it sounds like it.

Hi waldoe!

But if it isn't bb chip what is then? I have told you all I have done and thought it would be that I didn't back up SHSH, were this to be a software related problem. No procedure works with this phone. One odd thing; When in DFU mode, you go to redsn0w and sometimes says Old BR and other times New BR. However, when looked up in windows it always shows old BR...