What's new

Unjailbreaking

jockmcd

Reaction score
My wife has decided she wants me to unjailbreak her iphone 4 , she is running a jb 5.1.1 and wants to update to 6.01 can she just update straight through the iphone or will she have to back up in itunes- restore-put back up back to phone, would be great if she could just go ios6.01 straight from phone ?

if you want to removed all traces of jailbreak

u need to first download the appropriate ipsw file for your device
back up
put phone into DFU mode
n do a restore
set up as new device
then restore from back up....

What would hapen if just updated straight through phone then to ios6.01 would this cos problems, would it even do it and if it did do it what problems would there be, would it be rejailbreak problems in future ? Etc

You cannot do the over-the-air (OTA) update with a jail broken phone - it will not work.

You must do as described - connect your phone to iTunes, do a backup and then use iTunes to restore the phone to stock. It may be that you can go directly to iOS 6.9.1 using iTunes (be selecting the restore function), but you cannot do it OTA. Sorry.

Marilyn

You cannot do the over-the-air (OTA) update with a jail broken phone - it will not work.

You must do as described - connect your phone to iTunes, do a backup and then use iTunes to restore the phone to stock. It may be that you can go directly to iOS 6.9.1 using iTunes (be selecting the restore function), but you cannot do it OTA. Sorry.

Marilyn

To add on, there are potentials to brick your device. Putting it in DFU mode will ensure that you'll have a smooth restoration.

So do i need to download ipsw by the way she has no power button working so can forget dfu mode so is the best option as follows:

Back up in itunes
Restore to ios6.01
Apply saved back to phone .

Done

Put it into DFU mode using the DFU IPSW from RedSn0w

Can i not do as i said in my last post then ? Im getting totally confused now :-(

You can. But I only recommend DFU mode because from my experience, iPhones can get bricked during the upgrading process.

That's very true I would just try making s dfu mode ipsw with redsn0w and then restore to ios 6.0.1

So basically what Ahaon said then at the top ?if so can i download the 5.3.3 ipsw from this site or do i have to make it with the phone ?

Sorry , meant 5.1.1, how do i know if gsm or cdma is correct ?