Screen Capture Removed due to piracy program, please review our rules. We don't promote piracy on iPhone Forums.
Moderation Notice: No external links! Please review our rules.
Marilyn,
Get the update in Cydia enable the update on top of the normal theme and Frameless. New UI looks great.
pianoman said:And "I" didn't say that I had a couple of large themes equaling 5 GB. I have close to 35 themes loaded into winter board totaling 5 GB of data. I have found them from all different sources but most of them vetted well. Themes are written using CSS stylesheet code; a very simplistic code that's very hard to mess up so much so that it would make your entire phone "lag".
Themes that use involved animations or themes that are from pirated sources where "malware" could be introduced into them could cause troubles with your phone. But if you're careful to only load purchased themes or free themes from Cydia itself, then it's not themes that are making your phone lag. What I'm trying to emphasize is that no one need fear adding a theme to their jailbroken phone for fear of it slowing down their phone. That just does not happen that often unless you're using pirated sources. You can't really "poorly write" a theme. It either works or doesn't work if the syntax of the stylesheet is correct or not.
Well - okay. But it's no different with the .plist code. It's either correct and works perfectly or not and doesn't work at all. We need to detach this notion that poorly written code creates lag. Poorly written code, in most cases, doesn't work at all. But I understand your points. And certainly a lot of these kids are downloading 99% pirated stuff. So it's no wonder they have problems.. It is what it is.. :-/Well your kinda missing something here. Some themes need "plist" to work. I'm sure you know exactly what that is.
These .plist files can sometimes be flawed. This can cause lag. And it's usually not that bad....that is all it takes. But I am not much of a themer....any more. I have tried a few newer themes like Absolution HD. I swear my phone was *smoother* with that theme on. Unfortunately it lacked icons I wanted.lol. Plus, the Dev of Black UPS told me these plist can be flawed. But themes are just very well designed today.
I don't theme a lot mostly cuz just have too many tweaks installed. So theming slightly slows my phone down...not really choppy animation lag, but just slow loading animation. So I choose to use up my extra bit if memory for functionality as opposed to making it look all crazy and stuff.
Tho when I get the 4S, the slightly faster processor may let me theme well with the overload of tweaks I have installed. Idk.
But basically, yeah your rite,....I answered too bluntly about the subject. My bad.
pianoman said:Well - okay. But it's no different with the .plist code. It's either correct and works perfectly or not and doesn't work at all. We need to detach this notion that poorly written code creates lag. Poorly written code, in most cases, doesn't work at all. But I understand your points. And certainly a lot of these kids are downloading 99% pirated stuff. So it's no wonder they have problems.. It is what it is.. :-/
The reason you're confused, Zig, is that you entirely changed the subject in making your argument to me. We were not talking about application code, at all! We were talking about "themes"! Themes are not written with the same application code tweaks and Cydia apps are. They are written with stylesheets and the .plist. Not to try and oversimplify, but basically speaking, Stylesheet code either works or it doesn't work, Zig. That is an undeniable fact. It can't make a theme laggy or not. If there is an complex animation involved or a widget involved in the stylesheet coding/.plist then that particular item can make a theme laggy. But that's not a function of poor code it's a function of what you're asking the code to do.If that was true...then developers would NEVER update there working tweaks unless it was to add a new feature....but that is not that the case....devs update there tweaks all the time because they are sometimes flawed.....so that fact alone simply rules out your "it either works perfectly or not at all" completely and entirely.
pianoman said:The reason you're confused, Zig, is that you entirely changed the subject in making your argument to me. We were not talking about application code, at all! We were talking about "themes"! Themes are not written with the same application code tweaks and Cydia apps are. They are written with stylesheets and the .plist. Not to try and oversimplify, but basically speaking, Stylesheet code either works or it doesn't work, Zig. That is an undeniable fact. It can't make a theme laggy or not. If there is an complex animation involved or a widget involved in the stylesheet coding/.plist then that particular item can make a theme laggy. But that's not a function of poor code it's a function of what you're asking the code to do.
You tend to make these authoritative statements that can end up confusing people because your information is not quite right. Sometimes we "all" do that on forums. My statement was directed only at theme writing which is an entirely different process than tweak/iApp code writing.