dengirl
New Member
mikeglongo said:Androids have horrible battery life but almost the same as the iPhone IMO
I have had a bb droid incredible and now iPhone and they all thee last till evening to be charged. Not one better than the other. IMO
mikeglongo said:Androids have horrible battery life but almost the same as the iPhone IMO
Mikejr20 said:I had an android and the battery sucked compared to my new iPhone 4s. The android would die within 2 hours surfing the web or using apps. My iPhone I can use for 10+ hours doing all that an more.
Mr.Mischief said:#9 is completely untrue . Last year I made $40 an hour selling used Android phones. Most of them year old models that sold for $200-$300. Not a mint, but decent for an after school job.
I finally got fed up and dumped android for an iPhone 4S. Here's why.
1. I shouldn't have to handle hardware and software integration to get android to offer the best performance. This should be done by the device manufacturer. I have a job. I don't need another one.
2. Android is poorly supported by carriers and manufacturers. You'd be lucky to see one major update a year on a brand new device. Apple gave the 3 year old 3GS their current iOS5. Better support good, less support bad, especially when talking two year contracts. No more aggravation for me from waiting 6 months to a year for an android OS update that will outdated as soon as it is released.
3. The games selection sucks on android. iOS gets all the big budget titles from big name games developers. Also Infinity Blade 2 works on a 3 year old 3GS. Good luck getting Shadowgun to run on your HTC Evo.
4. 95% of android phones are suck-ass horrible laggy messes. iOS is super smooth, stable and allows me to do what I really want to be doing, which is not tweaking roms to keep the phone from sucking. There is no such thing as a bad iPhone. There are plenty of horrible android phones.
5. iPhones have a better battery life. More time surfing, gaming, messaging and talking without a charge needed. This makes the iPhone a better lifestyle accommodating device.
6. All the Google ecosystem apps I need on android are also on iOS. (Search, Voice, Maps, Youtube, Gmail, etc etc)
7. iOS has greater cohesiveness between apps, OS features and hardware. With android you can tell there is almost zero synergy between apps, hardware and OS. This is true even on Google's own Galaxy Nexus.
8. iOS versions of apps look and flow better than android versions. Examples: Sprint users app.
9. Android phones retain zero value after a couple of months. 3GS iPhones still command a price of a few hundred dollars, which is great for selling to fund an iPhone5.
10. Fragmentation...
Now this list does not suggest android does nothing right. Not true at all, but these are the main reasons why I dumped android, and probably will not be returning.
__________________
Before you read: while I'm not an Android fanboy, I am similarly not an Apple fanboy. I use what works, and what works for me now is an iPhone 4. I love it. I've owned all the iPhones except for the 4s.
1. Not quite getting this point, but ok.
2. True-ish(depends on the manufacturer), but have you tried using a 3GS on iOS 5? Much of Apple's updates are just patches for jailbreaking holes. Lets not get into iOS 5 battery life.
3. Android has plenty of games. I just checked the games I have on my iPhone, and they're available on Android. I play flight sims, Nova 1 & 2, Brothers in Arms, Modern Combat, and the Asphalt racing games. There are also many games available at Mobile Games - Top iPhone Games, Android Games, Java Games for Cell Phones | Gameloft.
4. Have you owned 95% of all the Android phones? If not, this point is bull crap. I haven't owned even close to 95%, but I've had the HTC Aria, Samsung Vibrant, Dell Streak 5, Samsung GS 4G, HTC MyTouch 4G, and a couple others. None of them were laggy or slow. They all ran either Android 2.1 or 2.2.
5. This point is kinda true. Previous Android phones had atrocious battery life. But, the latest crop of Android phones has decent battery life, some even better than the iPhone.
iPhone 4: 6 hours battery life: Apple iPhone 4
Samsung GS II: 7:38 battery life: Samsung Galaxy S II (T-Mobile) Review | Android Smartphone ReviewsHTC Sensation 4G: 7:12 battery life: HTC Sensation 4G Review | HTC Smart Phone Reviews | Best T-Mobile Android PhonesMotorola Atrix 2: 6:51 battery life: Motorola Atrix 2 (AT&T) Reviewed | Android Smartphone ReviewsTC Rezound: 7:38 battery life: HTC Rezound Review (Verizon Wireless) | Android & Smartphone Reviews at LAPTOP MagazineSo, yeah, quite a few have fair battery life, and like the phones above, many have excellent battery life.
6. This isn't a point against or for either.
7. Don't really know about this one, everything worked fine together on my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant(Android phone I used the most).
8. Again, this point is similar to 7, so I'm not really sure on this.
9. Wrong. Completely untrue. Last year I made $40 an hour selling used Android phones. Most of them year old models that sold for $200-$300. Not a mint, but decent for an after school job. An iPhone 3GS costs $150 nowadays, a similar Samsung Vibrant costs the same. Last year, the HTC MyTouch 4G cost around $250 in eBay, this year(12 months later), they cost $180. That's not bad. Last year the iPhone 3GS sold for $230, this year less than $180. I bought and sold iPhone and Android phones last year, I know my numbers.
10. you haven't really listed much here, so there's not much to discuss. If you mean file fragmentation, I'm don't believe this happens with either OS.
1. Spend a few hours or days or weeks or months trying to find ROMS and roots to make your android OS current and not laggy because the manufacturer abandoned you, and now you are dependent on some basement designed buggy ROM to keep things together.
2. How many devices have Ice Cream Sandwich a two months later? How many devices released within the last 90 days have a prayer of getting it. If Apple releases iOS6, I know my phone will have it pretty quick because Apple cares about their customers more than Google, HTC, Motorola, and Samsung.
3. Almost all android games are ported from iOS after then fact so they tend to run pretty horribly, and only on select devices. Name any company investing Infinity Blade II level development time and money into Android. They aren't because the market is too small despite android's user base being larger than iOS.
4. Android is laggy period. It all goes back to android's lack of hardware acceleration, poor overall coding that keeps devices locked at 30fps instead of 60fps, and touch screen code that was slapped onto a OS that was originally designed to compete against blackberry. Google android + laggy and there will be a million pages on the subject. This is no accident.
5. Android phones have gotten better because they are shipping with huge batteries. The 4S has a tiny 1432 mAh and still gets 8 hours of talk time. You put a battery that size in any android phone and it'll be dead by lunch time.
6. It eases the transition from Android to Google for first time iPhone owners. It means I lose nothing by changing, so its a reason why I dumped android. If there were not Google apps on iOS, I might have stuck with android because of my dependence on the ecosystem.
7. It's not a matter of "working fine". Lots of things work fine. There is a reason why 95% of android phones suck, and a big part of that is the use of off the shelf parts slapped together and mated to bad code that was designed without focus on the hardware.
8. Android's apps look and flow better making for a better user experience so you enjoy using your device more. There is a reason why the iPhone is the standard in this area. No one is praising Android's user experience on any android device...
9. Try and sell a 3 year old android phone for the same price a 3GS usually goes for. See how well that works for you.
10. Yeah because all android phones released in the last year will get Ice Cream Sandwich in a timely fashion, with great support from the manufacturers and carriers. I know my i4S will get iOS6 (If there is such a thing), but I wouldn't bet a penny on any android device released yesterday will get Ice Cream Sandwich ever. This affects the apps you can use, the services you can use, the security of the devices and the options available to you. Take a moment to research what OS fragmentation is.