iPhone 14 Pro doesn't show up when connected to laptop USB port

iPhone 14 Pro doesn't show up when connected to laptop USB port

Gozoman

Reaction score
My problem is that my iPhone is not showing up in Windows 10.

Before I did this Fresh Start thing which to be honest I wish I had never done as it's caused me more problems than it solved, when I connected my iPhone 14 Pro to the laptop the Photos app would open and I could select whatever photos I wanted and download them to a folder on my desktop. Now when I connect my phone it connects okay, it makes the wee noise it always made, and it starts to charge, but it doesn't open photos and it doesn't appear as a drive on my computer. The only drives that show are my C and D drives.

If I open the photos app and click on Import it says connected devices will show here but nothing appears.

The phone is obviously connected, it's charging, I've tried various cables and ports but it makes no difference.

I went into settings on my phone, General, Transfer or reset iPhone, Reset, Reset location & Privacy, entered my passcode, Reset Settings, plugged my phone back in, clicked on Trust this computer and re-entered my passcode, and it still doesn't appear!

Anyone got any ideas what is wrong here please?

My problem is that my iPhone is not showing up in Windows 10.

Before I did this Fresh Start thing which to be honest I wish I had never done as it's caused me more problems than it solved, when I connected my iPhone 14 Pro to the laptop the Photos app would open and I could select whatever photos I wanted and download them to a folder on my desktop. Now when I connect my phone it connects okay, it makes the wee noise it always made, and it starts to charge, but it doesn't open photos and it doesn't appear as a drive on my computer. The only drives that show are my C and D drives.

If I open the photos app and click on Import it says connected devices will show here but nothing appears.

The phone is obviously connected, it's charging, I've tried various cables and ports but it makes no difference.

I went into settings on my phone, General, Transfer or reset iPhone, Reset, Reset location & Privacy, entered my passcode, Reset Settings, plugged my phone back in, clicked on Trust this computer and re-entered my passcode, and it still doesn't appear!

Anyone got any ideas what is wrong here please?
Hmm, it sounds like a driver issue with your Windows PC.

If you plug your iPhone in, and open Device Manager on your PC, I believe the iPhone should be listed under USB devices as like Apple iPhone or something along those lines. Check that and let us know if it shows up there!

Hmm, it sounds like a driver issue with your Windows PC.

If you plug your iPhone in, and open Device Manager on your PC, I believe the iPhone should be listed under USB devices as like Apple iPhone or something along those lines. Check that and let us know if it shows up there!
I don't have USB Devices but I do have USB Controllers. The only entry that looks to be appropriate in it is Apple Mobile Device USB Driver which apparently is working properly.

I don't have USB Devices but I do have USB Controllers. The only entry that looks to be appropriate in it is Apple Mobile Device USB Driver which apparently is working properly.
Hmm okay. Does it show up in iTunes, or the Apple Devices app?

Hmm okay. Does it show up in iTunes, or the Apple Devices app?
I have the latest version of iTunes installed but I don't see the iPhone anywhere. Where is it supposed to be in iTunes? And why do I need iTunes anyway? As for Apple Devices yes it shows up there but all it seems to do is sync photos from my PC to my phone which is the opposite of what I want! Up until I made the stupid mistake of using Fresh Start to cure a few Windows Problems all I had to do was connect my iPhone to a USB port and it automatically opened Photos app and I could choose the photos I had taken on my phone and download them to my PC. Easy. I'm 70 years old and have been using Windows since I think V 3.1 and Dos 6 but I'm seriously considering moving to a Mac!

I have the latest version of iTunes installed but I don't see the iPhone anywhere. Where is it supposed to be in iTunes? And why do I need iTunes anyway? As for Apple Devices yes it shows up there but all it seems to do is sync photos from my PC to my phone which is the opposite of what I want! Up until I made the stupid mistake of using Fresh Start to cure a few Windows Problems all I had to do was connect my iPhone to a USB port and it automatically opened Photos app and I could choose the photos I had taken on my phone and download them to my PC. Easy. I'm 70 years old and have been using Windows since I think V 3.1 and Dos 6 but I'm seriously considering moving to a Mac!
I was doing some research for you and found this, you might give it a try: (This guy has it open in photos and doesn't want it to, ours is not opening in photos and we do want it to)

If you have accidently set the ‘Photo’ app as the default program to handle the contents of your iphone, then you can undo this setting by making changes in the ‘AutoPlay’ settings. Connect your iphone to the computer and then follow these steps:

a) Press Windows key + X, select ‘Control panel’.

b) Change the view by option on the top right to ‘Large icons’.

c) Click on ‘AutoPlay’ and check for the device.

d) Change the AutoPlay option for that device to ‘Do nothing’ or to open with itunes or other desired programs.

Hope this helps. Feel free to get back to us for any other Windows related queries in the future; we’d be happy to help.

I was doing some research for you and found this, you might give it a try: (This guy has it open in photos and doesn't want it to, ours is not opening in photos and we do want it to)
If you check my post you will see that my computer is not seeing my phone. It makes the wee noise when I plug it in. It charges, but it doesn't appear for example in My Computer Devices and Drives. I would be happy if it opened in the Photos app.

If you check my post you will see that my computer is not seeing my phone. It makes the wee noise when I plug it in. It charges, but it doesn't appear for example in My Computer Devices and Drives. I would be happy if it opened in the Photos app.
So your iPhone did not pop up under Autoplay?

I I press Window button and X there is on Control Panel. I can however press Start and select Control Panel. Don't see any option for large icons, but I clicked on Autoplay and iPhone was there with Take no Action. I changed this to Import Photos and Videos (Photos) and clicked save. Will now restart computer. I restarted the computer and nothing. I opened Photos and pressed Import and got the usual, Connected devices will show here. Nothing showed. Went back into Autoplay and changed the option to open device to view files, (File Explorer). Again nothing happened. All the while my iPhone is connected and charging!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back